Htop is a simple process monitoring program which runs in command line. If you find top a bit boring and like to have more colorful and interesting UI, ‘htop’ is for you.
Htop utility goes advanced, by giving us additional information about the processes and also allow several manipulations:
- Colour metersshows you CPU load, memory usage at a glance.
- Supports user interactionusing the mouse and keyboard
- Sort process listsuch as CPU usage, memory, virtual memory and others.
- Fully customizableaccording to your needs
- Help menu lists all possible commands (useful for beginners)
- Search for a process
Before proceeding with htop installation, at first we need to install Repoforge (previously RPMForge), which will act as a repository from where we can get the files.
wget http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm rpm -ihv rpmforge-release*.rf.x86_64.rpm
Once done, you can then install htop by simply issuing the following command:
yum install htop
You can then run htop by simply executing: